Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Quinoa with Summer Vegetables and Tomato Sauce



Lately, I feel like I've been eating like c-r-a-p.

Let's face it, we all have those weeks months.  Right? hey... right?  Come on. Back me up here.  I've been so busy with classes and work, I haven't had time to make many meals up to my standards.  Don't get me wrong, I've been eating healthy... I just know I've eaten healthier.  I went home for the weekend (post coming soon) to spend time with family, and couldn't wait to get back and get on the right track.

Behold.... Quinoa with veggies and tomato sauce.

I love pasta and sauce.  I could eat it every night and be a happy camper.  This is a nice twist on that comfort food.

Quinoa is rich in fiber and iron.  It's also a complete protein, meaning it contains all of the amino acids necessary to build muscle.  Other vegetarian sources of protein (except soy) don't typically have all of these amino acids, so it is important for vegetarians to mix specific types of foods to get all of the essential amino acids.

I'd rather eat this simple goodness.
 

Start out with half a cup of dry quinoa.  I used Arrowhead Mills Organic brand.

Rinse it.  Easier said than done.  The grains are so small that they easily slip through your fingers.

My secret?  My coffee filter basket.  What can I say, I'm an innovator.


Cook according to package directions.  I added the uncooked quinoa to a saucepan with one cup water and brought it to a boil.  Then simmered for 15-20 minutes.  

When cooked, the grain becomes translucent and the outer bran breaks.  It's so prettyyyyy.



You know that zucchini you see in your produce drawer ever time you open it?  Wondering how much longer it will last? Cut that sucker up.


Chop a quarter of an onion.  Add to a saute pan.  Saute.  Super complicated right?


About halfway through cooking, add a cup of frozen, chopped spinach.


Cook it up.  Sprinkle with a tablespoon of garlic powder.


Add a cup of your favorite jarred marinara sauce.  I like Trader Joe's!


Then, add your cooked quinoa!


Serve and enjoy!

This makes two filling servings.  Perfect for a summer evening.  You can even add more veggies to increase bulk without adding extra calories!  Or add a lean protein like ground turkey!  Endless possibilities here.  As always, nutrition facts are found below, courtesy of MyFitnessPal (follow me).  What's your favorite way to eat quinoa?!

  Quinoa with Summer Vegetables and Tomato Sauce
  • 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped frozen spinach
  • 1 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
Cook quinoa according to package directions.  Sautee vegetables in olive oil and garlic powder.  Add tomato sauce and cooked quinoa.  Heat and serve with parmesan cheese (optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment