Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Life Lately and Chia Pudding



Hey all!

I know I always apologize for being MIA...

This week and last week were awesome.  I've been in a low-key rotation in my internship, so I had plenty of "me-time" to get back into my exercise routine!

I went to three cycling classes, one yoga class, ran, and also ellipti-sized one day (derrr it's a word okay?).  I've never been to an actual yoga class before, but I watched this video and thought it was so great I wanted to give it a shot outside of my apartment.  I don't have the greatest mattress, so my back has been really messed up lately.  The last move in the video really lengthens the back.  Do it right after you wake up and you'll be wide awake, energized, and ready for your first cup of joe!

The cycling classes I go to are at 1-2-1 Fitness.  Love them.  The instructors are there to teach that specific class, so they're super knowledgeable and passionate.  I'm always a sweaty mess by the time I leave.  And my backside hurts a lot the next day.  TMI? okay. Word on the street is they're getting new bikes soon (THANK YOU anonymous donor) so hopefully that last issue will clear up relatively quickly.  

I wanted to introduce you all to my new favorite snack... Chia Pudding.  Heck yes.

Maybe you all know about this already.  I feel like I might be behind the curve, but that's pretty typical for me.

Basically, mix 3 Tbsp of chia seeds with 1 cup light vanilla soymilk.  Let sit for a few hours, until the chia seeds expand.  Stir occasionally if you so choose.  I've been eating it plain, but you can add extra toppings mix-ins if you like.  Unsweetened coconut would be amazinngggg or any 100% jam or fresh fruits.  Maybe even cocoa powder.  The options are endless, people.  In my opinion, it tastes a little bit like rice pudding... maybe not as sweet, but you get similar texture.




These things absolutely live up to their reputation as a nutritional "superfood" and I do not tend to throw that word around lightly.  All of the carbohydrate comes from fiber which is more difficult for the body to digest, leading to a healthier GI tract, improved blood glucose control, and healthy cholesterol levels.  With healthy fats and a little protein... you really can't go wrong.  And because they form a "gel", they are said to help keep the body hydrated.  Enjoy for breakfast, snack, or dessert!

This recipe makes two servings... here is the nutrition breakdown courtesy of MyFitnessPal:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment